I know that many of you were praying for us and most of you have had an update already...but I thought I would post it here too. Addi was recently hospitalized with enteroviral meningitis. We were beautifully taken care of at Riley Hospital. Here is the entire story...
Day 1: June 10
Mia and Sophie had viral fevers this week...they both spiked a fever and then it was gone as quick as it came and they never acted sick. Addi started with a low grade fever yesterday, but it went down with tylenol. Today, she had a fever of 101.5 and tylenol would not bring it down...just in the range when you need to call the doctor due to her age. I called and our doctor was not in, so the other doctor in the practice referred me to the ER. I was frustrated because Andy was at camp and I had to drop off the girls to get there...but once we were there, I was reminded of how serious a fever can be in a newborn. Addi is just 5 weeks. Dad arrives and we go through blood draws, IV placement, spinal tap, and all require multiple nurses and attempts because she is so little. She finally shuts down and goes to sleep. The initial test comes back that there is bacteria in her spinal fluid, so we are transferred to Riley hospital via ambulance.
Day 2: June 11
There was not much sleep to be had and they are admitting us after midnight. The nurses try again to draw blood and after 4 attempts, they finally decide to do a heel stick and draw two vials that way. They start 3 antibiotics immediatley to address bacterial meningitis...which the initial test indicates and we must then wait 72 hours for the final results as they take her spinal fluid and try to grow the bacteria so they can officially label it. Until then, she must have IV antibiotics of ampicillin, vancomycin, and gentamicin. The last one is dangerous and they draw a blood level to monitor it regularly.
She has a fever of 101.6 and it will not go down with tylenol. She was not really sick at home, so I feel we caught it early, but now she will not eat and is very tired, sleeping all day.
Day 3: June 12
I remember taking a shower this day! Her fever came down, but her stomach is bothering her. She was gassy before, but after I cut out caffine, it seems to be better. Still no results, but they are running their own tests. We opt to have a PIC line because the nurses could not draw blood without multiple attempts and tears. We were able to get it today and they said that she slept through most of it! She cried when they wrapped her arm.
Day 4: June 13
I am surviving, but it is surreal. I am not worried really, now that her fever has come down. I am just confused because nothing has grown in the culture to indicate bacteria, but Riley has found entero virus in her spinal fluid. Now we do not know for sure if it is bacterial or viral and each doctor has mixed feelings on if antibiotics will need to continue for 14 days if it is viral.
Today we have visitors though!
Day 5: June 14
We are still waiting for the results from the lab culture, but 72 hours ends today. We will not hear since it is Sunday...
Day 6: June 15
Finally, we have results and no growth of bacteria!
The official diagnosis is Enterovirus Meningitis.
I got the news early, but from a medical student and we did not get the final OK until later. We are going home and do not need anymore antibiotics. The only restriction she has is no tylenol until she is 6 months old so that we can accurately monitor her fevers. Andy says she will just have to be tough. We are also going to have her hearing checked regularly as one of the medicines has a side effect of damaging hearing.
Dr. John Gaebler, Associate Professor of Pediatric Infectious Disease has taken care of us along with residents Dr. Jenkins, Dr. Zee-Chang, and Dr. Nelson. We had a wonderful team.
Today...she is eating well and adjusting to a schedule at home. Mia and Sophie get home tomorrow and we are very excited. My parents have not been able to come due to my mother's compromised immune system, but after some severe cleaning and disinfecting, they are all coming tomorrow.
Thursday, June 18, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment